Simulations and Drills
It is an exercise developed in an environment prepared for this purpose, involving members of the Civil Defense Committee organized in groups (commissions), and where is sets the training scenery by providing written or verbal fictitious event delivery, similar to the actual impacts resulting from the pre established phenomenon. This exercise is based on various conditions and complexities, so that in pressure situation, the participants can make timely and effective decisions.
It allows strengthens the answer capacity of the Civil Defense organism in adverse events, evaluate and give feedback the respective Plans.Drill:
It is the field exercise where people, as members of the Civil Defense Committees, in public and nonpublic institutions, and the population in general, participate in a fictitious emergency (art) for a given phenomenon.
It allows evaluating the response capacity of the agency or agencies engaged in a scenario planned to resolve situations or problems that may arise as a consequence of the given event. The responsible for providing emergency care, apply knowledge, execute techniques and strategies following the established procedures set forth in the plans.Simulation and Drills Objectives:
Some of the objectives, both for simulations and Drills are:
Simulation and Drill Benefits:
- Present a simplified idealization of the essential elements in case of an emergency or disaster situation.
- Make explicit the key relationships and interactions of the agencies involved in emergency care and vulnerable populations.
- Subject the participants to make decisions in stressful situations as evidence of the direct impact of the consequences of the simulated event.
- Develop the variation rate, so that emerge the shares in a dynamic situation and are clearly experienced.
The simulations and drills for natural or technological phenomenon that generates disaster, have the following benefits:
- Help to evaluate Emergency Operations Plans.
- Evaluate the response capacity of the agencies responsible for providing emergency care.
- Provide training to managers and people involved.
- Improve the interinstitutional coordination and relationships with vulnerable populations.
- Visibly demonstrate the commitment of the authorities and population.
How to organize a Drill?
- Familiarize the responsible people with the decision making process under uncertainty circumstances and in the presence of a confused and inaccurate information, as well as the conduct to be followed by the population involved.
- Encourage the responsible people to conduct critical analysis of the information received in relation to the disaster.
- Recognize the need of having adequate and reliable information to take decisions.
- Promote the costs analysis and the practical problems of implementation in the simulated situation due to the lack of resources that follows a disaster state.
- Analyze the problems that arise in the management of brigade members and volunteers staff.
- Recognize the problems of implicit inter-sectoral coordination in the humanitarian aid and emergency management.
- Indicate the importance that has during a disaster, making decisions in coordination with the relevant agencies.
- Recognize the need for prior planning and preparation for disaster response.