WHAT IS THE SUSTAINABLE CITIES PROGRAM?
It´s an initiative that promotes INDECI with the aim of contributing to the sustainable development of cities and populated towns in the country incorporating the disaster risk management in the planning and territorial ordering of these, identifying the safest areas for its growth and densification and also projects and the required mitigation measures to reduce the risk levels in case of disasters, through the development of studies related to Hazard Maps, Land Use Plan in case of disasters and Mitigation Measures Proposals for natural and technological hazards, which:
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
- Promote and orientate the growth and densification of the cities over physically safe areas, firs attribute of a Sustainable City.
- Identify the projects and prevention measures and disasters mitigation.
- Convene the participation and support of the local and regional authorities, community, public and private institutions and all the people involved in the local development.
- Promote the strengthening of a prevention culture among the authorities, institutions and communities
The National Civil Defense Institute - INDECI, under the National Plan and Disaster Prevention frame, has been developing the Sustainable Cities Program which aims the safety development of the main cities of the country, and incorporates the Disaster Risk Management in the Planning and Territorial Ordering in cities and populated towns, through the development of studies related to Hazard Maps, Soil Use Plan in case of Disasters and Measures Mitigation Proposals for natural and technological hazards, which have as objectives:
- Promote and orientate the growth and densification of cities on physically safe areas, first attribute of a Sustainable City, to make them competitive in long term, preventing that the productive installed capacity on safer areas to be destroyed.
- Identify projects and prevention measures for disasters mitigation.
- Convene the participation and support of local and regional authorities, community, public and private institutions and all the people involved in the local development.
- Promote the strengthening of a prevention culture in case of and technological natural disasters among authorities, institutions and population of the country.
The PCS is developed under a general vision that has as objective contributing to achieve Sustainable Cities, this is to say safe cities , healthy, attractive, in order, with respect to the environment and its historical and cultural heritage, governable, competed, efficient in its function and development so that their inhabitants can live in a comfortable environment, promoting the increase of productivity, and that can be legated to future generations, cities and populated towns that are not severely affected by intense natural phenomena as well as technological.
The Sustainable Cities Program emphasizes the “physical safety of cities", because the effects produced due to natural and technological intense phenomena can cause losses of great magnitude in the cities, which would origin a sudden decline in the living standards of its inhabitants and precludes the sustainable development of these if the adequate precautions measures are not taken.
PCS is included in the commitments of the global summits related to Disaster Management and Development, as the Third Earth Summit on Environment and Development in Rio de Janeiro 1992 World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg 2002 and the Second World Conference on Disaster Reduction in Kobe 2005.