BACKGROUNDPCS frames in:
PCS starts in the year 1,998:
- World Summit of GRD and Development: Río 1992: “Development and Environment”; Johannesburg 2002 “ Sustainable Development” (Reduction of poverty); 2ª World Conference Mundial Kobe Disasters Reduction 2005 ( Action Frame of Hyogo for 2005-2015)
- National Prevention and Disaster Attention Plan : STRATEGY Nº 3 “ Promote the incorporation of the prevention concept in the Developing Planning”
- International Strategy for the Disasters Reduction EIRD, 2001
- Andean strategy for Prevention and Disasters Attention – EAPAD, 2004
- National Platform of Disasters Risks Reduction – 2009
- 10º y 19º State Police of the National Agreement State:Poverty fight; Sustainable Development and Environmental Management.
In October 1998, as a result of the effects of El Niño Phenomenon -PHEN 1997-1998 It was started the Sustainable Cities Program through the Executive Committee Project for the Reconstruction of El Niño - CEREN and the Program of United Nations for Development - PNUD. Since March 1, 2001 CEREN was transferred to INDECI and with support of PNUD continued the research in the area affected by FEN, giving a national scope since the earthquake from June 23rd , 2001 that affected the south of the country.
Considering the importance of the urban centers of the country, that shelter about 75% of the total population, and considering that is necessary to conduct studies that orientate the growth and development of the cities over the areas with the highest physical safety conditions, and establish the projects and mitigation measures necessary to reduce their risk levels, the Sustainable Cities Program with more than 11 years of experience in Disaster Risk Management has been executing studies in 135 cities (including 4 cities from Ecuador) benefiting a population of over six million of inhabitants in Peru.
Also the program has received significant recognition for the achievements through the Good Government Practices Awards 2006 and 2007.
- PROJECT "PREVENTION, MITIGATION AND MANAGEMENT OF EL NIÑO PHENOMENON” (Oct. 1998 – Oct. 1999) - (CEREN-PNUD PER 97/031).
- PROJECT “ SUPPORT TO CEREN“ (Nov. 1999 – Feb. 2001) - (CEREN-PNUD PER 98/018)
- PROJECT “SUPPORT TO INDECI“(Mar. 2001 – Dec. 2002) - (INDECI – PNUD PER 98/018)
- PROJECT INDECI – PNUD PER 02/051 SUSTAINABLE CITIES (Jan. 2003 – Dec. 2011